Monday 21 July 2008

Electrical Engineers In Action


Electrical Engineer taking transformer
oil sample for Dielectric Test


When I was a kid, I never dreamed to become an Electrical Engineer when I grow up. Electrical Engineer is alien to me and my family as none of my brother or sisters has taken any course or studied Electrical Engineering.
However, as time gone by, after completing my A-Level at Cornwall Technical College, Redruth, Cornwall, UK I was accepted to do Electrical Engineering degrre course in 1979. In fact, I had applied to do Civil Engineering after I was accepted to Sheffiele University but my application to switch course was rejected.
Alhamdulillah, I accepted the fate and after completing my 3-year degrre course at Sheffield University, Iwas awarded a B.Eng. degree in Electrical Engineering (Power).
I started working on the 27-08-1882 at Jabatan Kerja Raya (JKR) Headquarters as an Electrical Engineer. JKR or Public Works Department of Malaysia is the largest government technical department employing Electrical, Civil and Mechanical Engineers together with the Architects and Quantity Surveyors.
I left the government service in 1995 after 13 years working in the government department and be on my own. Come 27-8-2008 this year, I have worked as an Electrical Engineer for 26 years, quite a long period isn't it?

Something that still puzzled me is that I have been handling or dealing with something that is invisible, odourless, silent but very lethal if it is mishandled ... i.e. electricity. Electricity is such a hazard to human because as small as 10mA or 0.01 Ampere could kill us if it is not handled carefully.
Thus, electricity could only to be handled by those who really care and treat with respect the existance of invisible, odourless, silent but deadly electrons which has contributed much to human lives since 17th. century.


EEngineer_2008

No comments: