Wednesday 20 August 2008

Flash Flood Between Taiping & Selama

Taiping-Selama Road under water at Pondok Tanjong (8.45 a.m.)

Two days ago I attended a project site meeting at Selama, Perak. I had put up a night at my sister's house in Kampong Jambu, Taiping.
Early that morning, I started off to Selama to attend the meeting. However, when I was approaching a small town of Pondok Tanjong, I saw many cars and people gathered by the road side. To my surprise, I found out that they are road-stranders as they could not pass through a low-lying part of the road which was under 450mm of water due to heavy down-pour the previous night.

Selama-Taiping Road under water at Pondok Tanjung (6.30 p.m.)

As my car suspension is also low, I had decided to turn back and travelled to Selama via Batu Kurau, Rantau Panjang and Ijok. That was my maiden route to Selama via Batu Kurau. Alhamdulillah, although some parts of the roads are really errie, I had no choice but just drive and drive. I reached Selama at about 10.15 a.m.

On the way back from Selama to Taiping, one of the project site staff informed me that the flood water has subsided and cars could pass through. So, immediately after the meeting, I started my trip back to Taiping.
To my surprise there were cars which could not cross the area due to flood water. I was fed with wrong information.
This time, I had to retreat and pass through Kubu Gajah and Bukit Merah and proceeded via North-South Highway to Taiping.

I reached Taiping at about 6.30 p.m and getting ready to drive home to Bandar Seri Putra, Bangi. I reached Bangi at about 11.45 p.m.

No comments: